Weight Loss Surgery in Birmingham, AL
Why Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery is a permanent tool that alters how much food you eat and how you digest that food. Surgery can help you regain control of your health. It is a serious decision and requires a life-long commitment to lifestyle changes and adjustments. Surgery can greatly improve your overall health as well as your quality of life. Comorbid conditions like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obstructive sleep apnea and joint disease all improve or even fully resolve with bariatric surgery.
Best Candidates for Weight Loss Surgery
The following criteria are often used to help identify ideal candidates for bariatric surgery:
- Individuals weighing more than 100 lbs. above their optimal body weight
- Those with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher
- Patients with a BMI between 35 and 40 also possess some sort of obesity-related health condition like heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.
- Individuals who have a documented history of unsuccessful weight loss programs or other weight loss methods
- Persons who are committed to making the necessary lifestyle changes after a weight loss surgery, including proper diet and exercise, in addition, to follow up care from a qualified health professional
- Patients with a solid support system to help them recover from weight loss surgery and continue to implement healthy lifestyle choices after surgery
- Those without an uncontrolled psychological condition
- Individuals who do not have any addictions to drugs or alcohol
Common Types of Bariatric Surgery
There are several different options available to patients considering a weight loss surgery. The most common types of weight loss surgery include:
It is always important to carefully consider each option in addition to discussing all questions and concerns with a weight-loss surgical specialist. To speak with Dr. Askew, call our area office today to schedule an appointment.