Weight Loss Surgery in Birmingham, AL
Birmingham’s Leaders in Bariatric Surgery
Board-certified general surgeon, Dr. Cameron Askew received her bariatric training during residency under several of the best bariatric surgeons in the state. Dr. Askew is committed to surgical excellence by using the least-invasive, and most-effective means to care for her patients. She has a strong compassion for and commitment to obesity and weight-loss surgery as obesity is the #1 healthcare issue of our society. Call our weight loss office in Birmingham, AL at (205) 874-9780 today to see if bariatric surgery is right for you!
Why Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery is a permanent tool that alters how much food you eat and how you digest that food. Surgery can help you regain control of your health. It is a serious decision and requires a life-long commitment to lifestyle changes and adjustments. Surgery can greatly improve your overall health as well as your quality of life. Comorbid conditions like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obstructive sleep apnea and joint disease all improve or even fully resolve with bariatric surgery.
Best Candidates for Weight Loss Surgery
The following criteria are often used to help identify ideal candidates for bariatric surgery:
- Individuals weighing more than 100 lbs. above their optimal body weight
- Those with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher
- Patients with a BMI between 35 and 40 also possess some sort of obesity-related health condition like heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.
- Individuals who have a documented history of unsuccessful weight loss programs or other weight loss methods
- Persons who are committed to making the necessary lifestyle changes after a weight loss surgery, including proper diet and exercise, in addition, to follow up care from a qualified health professional
- Patients with a solid support system to help them recover from weight loss surgery and continue to implement healthy lifestyle choices after surgery
- Those without an uncontrolled psychological condition
- Individuals who do not have any addictions to drugs or alcohol
Common Types of Bariatric Surgery
There are several different options available to patients considering a weight loss surgery. The most common types of weight loss surgery include:
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Gastric bypass results in weight loss by restricting food intake and altering the digestive process.
With this procedure, the surgeon removes approximately 75-80 percent of the stomach laparoscopically so that the stomach takes the shape of a tube or “sleeve”.
Schedule a Weight-Loss Surgery Consultation in Birmingham, AL
It is always important to carefully consider each option in addition to discussing all questions and concerns with a weight-loss surgical specialist like Dr. Askew. To speak with Dr. Askew, call our office at (205) 874-9780
today your consultation.