Weight-Loss Surgery in Birmingham, AL
Am I a Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery is weight-loss surgery for people who are obese and have made strong attempts at weight loss through exercise and dieting without success. Surgery is not, as some may believe, an immediate or quick-fix solution. Successful bariatric surgery requires hard work and effort on the part of the patient to follow a healthy diet and exercise program after surgery. If you are willing to work hard and do your part, then surgery can open the door and jumpstart your success to dramatic weight loss and health improvements.
You may qualify for surgery if you meet the following requirements:
- A body mass index of greater than 40 or
- A BMI of greater than 35, and also have obesity-related health issues
(obstructive sleep apnea, severe arthritis, hypertension and diabetes). or
- Approved for lap band surgery only: A BMI of 30 or higher who also have at least one obesity-related condition. Many national organizations consider other bariatric surgeries safe and effective for these patients as well but most insurance companies do not currently cover this category.
- You must be able to prove that traditional weight loss programs, diets and exercise have not been successful for you.
- You must be ready to commit to healthy lifestyle changes after surgery.
- You must understand the risks and rewards of weight loss surgery.
The majority of insurance policies now cover bariatric surgery and follow up care. Please contact your specific insurance company to see if your policy covers you and what requirements must be met. If you have difficulty obtaining this information, please call us and we will assist you.
If you are not covered by insurance, we will work with you, in partnership with Brookwood Medical Center, to work out a financing plan so that you can afford your surgery.
Request a Consultation
Dr. Cameron Askew and Dr. S. Andrew Sabo are highly trained surgeons with extensive experience performing bariatric weight-loss surgery. If you are interested in bariatric surgery or have more questions about the procedure, call (205) 874-9780 to schedule an appointment at our weight-loss surgical center in Birmingham, AL